Archive for The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum The Original Toy Steam Forum
Established 2006
The biggest, most popular global steam forum around! Accept NO imitations!
We have a growing community of regular posting members who chat about all aspects of toy and model steam.
 


       The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum Forum Index -> Locomotives and Railways
MTA

'Chuff' pipe

A while ago I think someone on here mentioned how you can give your Mamod engine a good sound when running, I believe it is called a 'Chuff pipe'. Can someone post up here how to do it?
Chris

That was me.

I don't know how you do it. But MM pointed out that the mamod locos do chuff when working harder. I notice with Arthur that he does do a decent chuff when pulling lots of wagons.

I think you just need to restrict the exhaust to get more of a chuff, but I really don't know so don't trust me!

I am going to have a go at making an exhaust regulator (which I will undoubtedly mess up). Wondering if that might also make it chuff more.



Let me know if you find out.
steamyjim

From what i have read it seems you get a peice of copper pipe. Clamp one enf up so no exhauset can escape. Then file a small slot in it so that some does escape but its restricted. Then slide over the exhaust pipe.

I think
Chris

steamyjim wrote:
From what i have read it seems you get a peice of copper pipe. Clamp one enf up so no exhauset can escape. Then file a small slot in it so that some does escape but its restricted. Then slide over the exhaust pipe.

I think


Pretty much what I thought.
Mamodman123

Thats pretty much it!

It will slow the loco down I would have thought

don't forget that these are only toys at the end of the day
Chris

Mamodman123 wrote:
Thats pretty much it!

It will slow the loco down I would have thought

don't forget that these are only toys at the end of the day


No bad thing though!
Mamodman123

Chris wrote:
Mamodman123 wrote:
Thats pretty much it!

It will slow the loco down I would have thought

don't forget that these are only toys at the end of the day


No bad thing though!


Might reduce power aswell? Depends on what you plan on using the loco for

you don't try it, you don't know
SillyBilly

Perhaps just closing up the end of the exhaust pipe so it had a finer gap but not to fine? Surely this is the same idea as discussed in the 'chimney regulator' thread?
Mamodman123

SillyBilly wrote:
Perhaps just closing up the end of the exhaust pipe so it had a finer gap but not to fine? Surely this is the same idea as discussed in the 'chimney regulator' thread?


Yes pretty much.

Some later locos had solder inside the regulator handles to make the grooves more shallow
Titan

Mamodman123 wrote:


Some later locos had solder inside the regulator handles to make the grooves more shallow


Sadly I think that was more likely to be by accident due to poor quality control rather than intentional !!
Mamodman123

Titan wrote:
Mamodman123 wrote:


Some later locos had solder inside the regulator handles to make the grooves more shallow


Sadly I think that was more likely to be by accident due to poor quality control rather than intentional !!


Probably, what were they soldering though?
Chris

Part of the idea of the exhaust regulator I am going to try and make is that it will also act as a chuff pipe.

So at worst it will all go wrong and I will put the loco back how it is. At best it will chuff better and have more control. As a middle ground I might not have more control but might have a better chuff.

Anyway, ordered some pipe and will have an experiment.
Mamodman123

Chris wrote:
Part of the idea of the exhaust regulator I am going to try and make is that it will also act as a chuff pipe.

So at worst it will all go wrong and I will put the loco back how it is. At best it will chuff better and have more control. As a middle ground I might not have more control but might have a better chuff.

Anyway, ordered some pipe and will have an experiment.


Sounds good Chris!

Looking forward to seeing how it goes
Chris

Mamodman123 wrote:
Chris wrote:
Part of the idea of the exhaust regulator I am going to try and make is that it will also act as a chuff pipe.

So at worst it will all go wrong and I will put the loco back how it is. At best it will chuff better and have more control. As a middle ground I might not have more control but might have a better chuff.

Anyway, ordered some pipe and will have an experiment.


Sounds good Chris!

Looking forward to seeing how it goes


Or doesn't go!
Mamodman123

Chris wrote:
Mamodman123 wrote:
Chris wrote:
Part of the idea of the exhaust regulator I am going to try and make is that it will also act as a chuff pipe.

So at worst it will all go wrong and I will put the loco back how it is. At best it will chuff better and have more control. As a middle ground I might not have more control but might have a better chuff.

Anyway, ordered some pipe and will have an experiment.


Sounds good Chris!

Looking forward to seeing how it goes


Or doesn't go!


Hopefully it does
       The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum Forum Index -> Locomotives and Railways
Page 1 of 1