The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum
The Original Toy Steam Forum
Established 2006
The biggest, most popular global steam forum around! Accept NO imitations!
We have a growing community of regular posting members who chat about all aspects of toy and model steam.
 
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Join! (free)
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in



Chat Safe Rules

Main Menu
Home
Forum
Forum Articles
"New" toy for the workshop
TE1 slide valve conversion
NEED A BIGGER KITCHEN!
A nice surprise
Found a death penny
Daveyp2 wedding
The Colliery build begins.
My new car
Cirrus project
Opportunity Or What
Links Menu
Welcome
The original and largest global toy and model steam forum on the net. THE place where steam enthusiasts hang out.
Branching out into garden railways
Centrifugal Governor wrote:
jarcuta wrote:
Vincent! Vincent! Thumbs up! Vincent! Vincent!

Did you say Vincent ?!

What make of track are you using for your layout John ?
Will Regner run on Mamod track, when the wheels are correctly adjusted ?


Yes it is Mamod track
Branching out into garden railways
Just interested to know what track system and gauge you were considering using?

Best with it

MARK
Branching out into garden railways
H2o vapour wrote:
Just interested to know what track system and gauge you were considering using?

Best with it

MARK

I have the standard Mamod oval as supplied with the RS1 train set, plus an extra pack of straight & curved track & one of each LH/RH points. I intend to use this to get me started, but have concerns how the Regner would fair with the Mamod points, due to the central gear wheel on the axle fouling the change over rails.
Branching out into garden railways
Centrifugal Governor wrote:
H2o vapour wrote:
Just interested to know what track system and gauge you were considering using?

Best with it

MARK

I have the standard Mamod oval as supplied with the RS1 train set, plus an extra pack of straight & curved track & one of each LH/RH points. I intend to use this to get me started, but have concerns how the Regner would fair with the Mamod points, due to the central gear wheel on the axle fouling the change over rails.


I have added points to my setup
but I have not run my Regners on it yet
I will do a video next week and you can see for yourself
P.s I used Mamod track for the same reason as you
Just price it out before you use it it is not cheap stuff
If I could go back I would not use it
Branching out into garden railways
jarcuta wrote:
Centrifugal Governor wrote:
H2o vapour wrote:
Just interested to know what track system and gauge you were considering using?

Best with it

MARK

I have the standard Mamod oval as supplied with the RS1 train set, plus an extra pack of straight & curved track & one of each LH/RH points. I intend to use this to get me started, but have concerns how the Regner would fair with the Mamod points, due to the central gear wheel on the axle fouling the change over rails.


I have added points to my setup
but I have not run my Regners on it yet
I will do a video next week and you can see for yourself
P.s I used Mamod track for the same reason as you
Just price it out before you use it it is not cheap stuff
If I could go back I would not use it

I shall look forward to your forthcoming video of your Regners running on your layout with the added points John  
I enjoyed watching your 3 Mamod's & your scratch built loco whizzing round the track  
Like you say, the Mamod track isn't cheap, so I may have to look at alternatives  
Branching out into garden railways
Most Regner Easyline locos were/are supplied with their LGB tauglich coupling (some Max's were supplied with their multi height coupling, as seen on Joe's Max earlier in this topic).



The LGB hook engages under these couplings, and they can also be used with Regner's link & pin connection. The previous owner of my Lumber Jack had fitted brass hooks into the pin holes so this coupling was more compatible with the commonly used centre buffer coupling & 3 link chain. However this is too high for the low couplings used on slate wagons, tipper wagons, etc. so I placed a 3 link chain inside the Regner coupling and bent the bottom of those brass hooks to prevent them being pulling out. This solution works well with my Binnie tipper wagons & Coopercraft slate wagons.





The Regner Easyline range has recently reduced to just 3 available locos (Vincent, Chaloner & Lumber Jack) plus the new Henry kit (which is still not available in the UK) and there has been quite a significant increase in their prices - the single cylinder Vincent now sourced in the UK is a staggering 830 (and of course the 2nd hand marketers are cashing in on these price hikes by similarly raising their prices) - Ouch!

Chris Cairns
Branching out into garden railways
Regners run over Mamod points fine
Branching out into garden railways
CCairns wrote:
Most Regner Easyline locos were/are supplied with their LGB tauglich coupling (some Max's were supplied with their multi height coupling, as seen on Joe's Max earlier in this topic).



The LGB hook engages under these couplings, and they can also be used with Regner's link & pin connection. The previous owner of my Lumber Jack had fitted brass hooks into the pin holes so this coupling was more compatible with the commonly used centre buffer coupling & 3 link chain. However this is too high for the low couplings used on slate wagons, tipper wagons, etc. so I placed a 3 link chain inside the Regner coupling and bent the bottom of those brass hooks to prevent them being pulling out. This solution works well with my Binnie tipper wagons & Coopercraft slate wagons.





The Regner Easyline range has recently reduced to just 3 available locos (Vincent, Chaloner & Lumber Jack) plus the new Henry kit (which is still not available in the UK) and there has been quite a significant increase in their prices - the single cylinder Vincent now sourced in the UK is a staggering 830 (and of course the 2nd hand marketers are cashing in on these price hikes by similarly raising their prices) - Ouch!

Chris Cairns

Thanks for that informative reply Chris
I plan to modify a Mamod flatbed wagon & modify/replace the buffer bar to fit nicely with the Regner Easyline coupling. Then I can couple the rest of my Mamod rolling stock using the stock Mamod coupling.
How do you get on with the Binnie wagons, I brought a slate wagon kit to assemble & find it a little flimsy & rather small compared to the Mamod rolling stock. I could imagine a rake of wagons flying off the rails at every corner. Maybe a few weights stuck on underneath will help.
Branching out into garden railways
jarcuta wrote:
Regners run over Mamod points fine
I'm not taking your word for it John, you're going to have to show some video footage as evidence !  
Branching out into garden railways
Centrifugal Governor wrote:
How do you get on with the Binnie wagons

I do not have any Binnie slate wagons (only tippers & bolster chassis's, plus a flat wagon to go under a Lineside Hut Padarn Brake Van kit), but have pulled a rake of Binnie slate wagons at a Show.

Yes they need weight adding to them for better/stable running. You can add steel wheelsets. I have a rake of 4 Coopercraft slate wagons which the previous owner fitted with steel wheelsets and glued extra lead weights under the wagon floor. You could use the stick on weights that Tyre fitters use or you may be able to get some of the tyre weights they have previously removed. I managed to get a roll of lead flashing cheap some years ago which I cut up as necessary. There are also resin slate loads available for more weight.

I learnt the hard way at a Show that you need to place the heaviest wagon(s) at the front of the rake you are pulling in order to prevent the heavy ones trying to overtake the light ones, ending up in a derailment just after the curves (as I did at that show!).

Chris Cairns
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Categories
General Chat, Buying & Selling
Build It, Fix It, Steam It, Show It
Members Section
Popular Topics
Rum Runner a build log
Photobucket problem
Something is on the horizon
New Twin Cylinder Steam Engine
New Mamod about to be launched
Is this savable?
Meths burner wont burn !
Slot car 1:32 Night Race
Twin Victoria steam plant
What is it ? (video falling tree added )


Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
smartBlue Style © 2002 Smartor
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
 

Welcome to The Unofficial Mamod & Other Steam Forum!
Welcome. We're a friendly place to share knowledge & chat about this great hobby. Since our July 06 startup, we have grown to over 2500 members, who have posted over 1 1/4 million posts. We can answer most toy steam questions, basic or complex. Our multi-national members enjoy sharing photos & videos of engines by Mamod, Wilesco, Jensen, Bowman, SEL, Doll, Bing, Scorpion, Renown & more. All collectors are welcome & if you are just starting out in the hobby, we can suggest some ideal engines. Our forum is ad free & costs nothing to be a member.
Press the 'Join' button at the top of the page, to be part of the largest toy steam forum on the internet.
For membership or joining issues email Sandman: sandmansmail665@gmail.com
Engine of the Month August
EOTM
Redryder's
1914 Ernst Plank Distillery
Reproduction by Russell Snyder
Click picture to enlarge