The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum
The Original Toy Steam Forum
Established 2006
The biggest, most popular global steam forum around! Accept NO imitations!
We have a growing community of regular posting members who chat about all aspects of toy and model steam.

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Join! (free)
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Chat Safe Rules

Whats the best deals available for a 7x14" lathe
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Cameron

Steam Supreme Being

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Whats the best deals available for a 7x14" lathe Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was wondering what the best deals are on Lathes at the moment, ie include the most accessories for same price, or have less accessories and cheaper.

I'm shopping around at the moment and came across this one with a four way tool post, Three jaw chuck all for 486.39

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/p...tItemId=aqrxpmpqw&istBid=tztx

I would be looking at no more than around the 500 mark

Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage http://fwpl.webs.com/
MooseMan

Supermoderator

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lathe itself is only part of the picture I'm afraid. The real expense comes in all the bits you need to have with it....3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck, jacobs chuck, steady, live and dead centres, cutting tools, boring bars, drill bits...it is quite literally a bottomless pit you throw money in.

Is it worth it? Absolutely, and I have found this forum to be incredibly supportive. My personal work ethic: whenever I do something on my litte Unimat I imagine that David "Stilldrillin" is looking over my shoulder, with a pointy stick ready in his hand

I've also learned more from watching Tony Bird than I have from reading 20 books. If you can find a skilled engineer who will let you observe, grab the opportunity with both hands!

Wrth Ddwr a Than

https://www.youtube.com/user/moosemansteam
kevin

Steam Supreme Being

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find all those of that size about the same, the chuck and 4 way are standard and as they all come from the same "conglomerate" they all cost the same to the companies who are marketing them in the west.

Differences in prices are dependent on how well they are set up prior to export to the UK and prior to uk shipping shipping, aftersales service, shipping costs and naturally profit margin.

perfectly capable little lathes btw although if you are a bit rough you will start burning out motor controllers which are 100 a throw.

If you go in that direction I may have some tool posts, tooling etc I can send your way

www.ITA-SHOP.co.uk
Jon Cameron

Steam Supreme Being

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin,

Needless to say I have a lump of cash coming to me which has already burned a hole in my pocket

My thinking is if I don't buy one now, I never will, I could use the money to buy more engines, but I do intend on one day to get back to designing and making things for forum members (example been the Scuttle)

I have learned a lot from Tony, and I know I've got you guys to steer me on the right lines, plus I have Frazer just 30mins up the road if I really get stuck on something

Dr. Rog

Steam Supreme Being

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a lathe when you can, early is good.

Making your own bits will be great. If you just buy engines you will just have a lot of stuff needing improvement.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DrRogB/videos

New positive motto for 2017: carpe diem
Jon Cameron

Steam Supreme Being

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rog, that's the way I look at it too doing it this way I can make the items to my own design, then in about 5years I may recover the cost of the machine by selling an engine or two, (that's if I make them good enough of course  

I'm in my early 30's now so here's me and my enthusiasm trying to keep the manufacture of engines built in a shed alive  

HenryArtist

Steam Legend!!

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Kevin says, most of the mini-lathes available have pretty much the same performance and capacity. The difference really comes in the aftermarket support from the seller.
You can expect to spend a fair amount of time over the first few weeks or months of ownership tweaking and adjusting things on your lathe until everything wears in. (Depending on how much use it gets.)

The latest models have brushless motors which give better speed and power control. On the older machines the minimum speed was generally too fast for thread cutting and turning larger diameters. Having said that, very few owners of mini-lathes use the thread cutting function prefering instead to use taps and dies.

Stuff you should budget for from the outset -
QCTP and some tool holders.
Drill chuck for the tailstock and some centre drills.
Carriage stop.
Dial gauge with magnetic stand.
Digital callipers.
Digital micrometer.
Small engineer's square.

There are loads (and LOADS!) of videos on YouTube on making improvements to mini-lathes that you can watch.

While a QCTP and indexable tooling may seem like a big investment they really, really are worth it especially if your time to spend on your hobby is limited.
SLR

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the best deals available for a 7x14" lathe Reply with quote

Jon Cameron wrote:
Hi all,

I was wondering what the best deals are on Lathes at the moment, ie include the most accessories for same price, or have less accessories and cheaper.

I'm shopping around at the moment and came across this one with a four way tool post, Three jaw chuck all for 486.39

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/p...tItemId=aqrxpmpqw&istBid=tztx

I would be looking at no more than around the 500 mark

That looks like the Clarke, Sealey, Draper and various other branded/unbranded machines around; prices are all over the place, but the one you've linked seems reasonable.

There is this similar one from Warco:
http://www.warco.co.uk/metal-lath...hine/302922-mini-hobby-lathe.html
It's slightly more money, but has a more powerful motor, claims better electronics, and has metal gears. They also have experience with supplying this type of machine, so customer service/aftersales may be better (I can't speak from experience, as I've never dealt with them).

Anyway, you need a lathe. Everybody does, it's just that some don't know it!  
Seriously though, do it! I very much doubt you'll regret it, and will soon wonder how you ever managed without one!
But, I'll agree with one of the other guys above and warn you: the basic machine is just the beginning, and over a couple of years you can expect to spend the same amount of money again on tools and accessories, not to mention materials.
Jon Cameron

Steam Supreme Being

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on this

No matter who you ask the response is the same the tooling is the most expensive part, (in the long term anyhow), and I appreciate all the PM's I have received in the past year on this subject too, Henry I seem to remember, overloaded me with information and links all extremely useful and helped to grow my knowledge on what I need to look for, or rather get out of my purchase

Basically ive been advised many times that the biggest single outlay will be the lathe, but the most expensive will be the tooling, but as this can be bought over time the cost is considered less than having a single outlay of the lathe

Another view is that most of the tooling required for a lathe can be made on the lathe, with the use of a bench grinder and some clamped angle for example  (this has yet to be trialled:lol:) Ive seen a flycutter made, for facing of castings, which was made from a faceplate (for this type of lathe around 25-30, using just a lathe, and a bench grinder

Plus, as I've read on other threads, when you start looking at buying Stuart engines fully built, as apposed to the cost of a lathe it starts to make sense to machine the castings yourself and build a boiler to supply steam for the same money

Stilldrillin

Honorary Life Member

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon.
So much advice, from so many people. So confusing.......

Remember Ross's lathe. Recently offered on here? That came from Amadeal. Where I buy my spares, for my Chester 7x12 mongrel.

http://www.amadeal.co.uk/

You have to make a decision, and start somewhere. Developing/ improving your lathe, as you mature together.

My only advice is to buy, supplied with the 100mm/ 4" chuck. http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog...etal-Gears--1345143342.html#SID=2

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or have more......
Jon Cameron

Steam Supreme Being

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David that's a pretty good link, though the four way tool post is extra, the 4" chuck and outside jaws are a bit of a bonus

Can someone though please explain to me what a lathe dog does, and why you need to walk them regularly     Never understood their function, and the "walk them regularly" comes from a post Kevin made in Dave's (ironhorse57) thread about his Lathe

Stilldrillin

Honorary Life Member

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google..... https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=lathe+dog&*

Used for driving a shaft, between centres. Never had the need for one......

Jon Cameron

Steam Supreme Being

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah now I get it

So if you were turning a piece on the lathe that was between live centres, the lathe dog allows the piece to turn by engaging one of the chuck jaws, and been clamped to one end of the piece

Stilldrillin

Honorary Life Member

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, ish!  

Dead centre in headstock. Live centre, in tailstock.....

Confusing, innit!

Jon Cameron

Steam Supreme Being

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are all aware much to learn  

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: