The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum
The Original Toy Steam Forum
Established 2006
The biggest, most popular global steam forum around! Accept NO imitations!
We have a growing community of regular posting members who chat about all aspects of toy and model steam.

FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Join! (free)
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Chat Safe Rules

Hornby G100
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum Forum Index -> Locomotives and Railways
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_lucas

FLAGS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Hornby G100 Reply with quote

I've been looking at some Hornby G100's, how much is a mint unfired with box and track worth and are they any good?
Owner of Wilesco D36, "Wilesco" Roller, "Wilesco" Traction Engine, D24, D52, D10, Fleischmann 105-1, 1925 Bing,1909 Marklin (4106/5 1/2 or 4105/5 1/2?), Mamod TE1A x2, Bing Kraftlokomotive, D20 (half of it)
MrDuck

Steam God!

FLAGS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear they need somebody who plays a fiddle but they look good
Roly Williams

Honorary Life Member

FLAGS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices vary a lot. They can sell on Ebay for anything from 200 upwards depending on condition. A truly mint condition one could fetch double that.

As for are they any good, it's pot luck. Some are better than others. They are generally underpowered for their size and even a good one will only pull 2 or 3 of their lightweight plastic carriages. However, if you're looking at a mint condition one then, chances are, you are not interested in performance, just looks. In that case, a mint one will look very nice indeed on a shelf or in a glass case. But in that case, why do you want track? If you're thinking of an investment then forget it.

"Lots of things worth saying can only be said loosely" (William Cooper)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RolyWilliams
chris_lucas

FLAGS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roly Williams wrote:
Prices vary a lot. They can sell on Ebay for anything from 200 upwards depending on condition. A truly mint condition one could fetch double that.

As for are they any good, it's pot luck. Some are better than others. They are generally underpowered for their size and even a good one will only pull 2 or 3 of their lightweight plastic carriages. However, if you're looking at a mint condition one then, chances are, you are not interested in performance, just looks. In that case, a mint one will look very nice indeed on a shelf or in a glass case. But in that case, why do you want track? If you're thinking of an investment then forget it.

Thanks for your reply, there's a mint one for sale near me for 250, and I'm thinking of buying it. Are there any fixes for the bad ones, and if the gas tank is rot are there any replacements?
Owner of Wilesco D36, "Wilesco" Roller, "Wilesco" Traction Engine, D24, D52, D10, Fleischmann 105-1, 1925 Bing,1909 Marklin (4106/5 1/2 or 4105/5 1/2?), Mamod TE1A x2, Bing Kraftlokomotive, D20 (half of it)
Roly Williams

Honorary Life Member

FLAGS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_lucas wrote:
Roly Williams wrote:

Thanks for your reply, there's a mint one for sale near me for 250, and I'm thinking of buying it. Are there any fixes for the bad ones, and if the gas tank is rot are there any replacements?

I was lucky with mine and it worked after a good clean so I can't really help with tips. I haven't tried it pulling a load.

The gas tank will almost certainly need replacement if it still has the original plastic one. New metal ones are available from suppliers like Forest Classics.

If it is truly mint then 250 would be as bargain.

chris_lucas

FLAGS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roly, for how much did they sell new?
I need to convince some parents
Roly Williams

Honorary Life Member

FLAGS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_lucas wrote:
Thanks Roly, for how much did they sell new?
I need to convince some parents

No idea, but that was about 40 years ago so you'd have to take inflation into account anyway.

H2o vapour

FLAGS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did they cost at that time ?

Bit of nostalgia here for me,

I live in Nottingham and back in 1981 at that time, I had a Student rail card. All long journey's max fare 5.00. The Settle and Carlisle line was still open, so my brother and myself had a day trip to Glasgow and back, from Nottingham using the above route. We also visited the fantastic Glasgow transport museum, which at that time was at Pollack Shields, in the old Tram sheds.

I bought my first one from the well known and famous Model shop on the corner,  at the side of Glasgow railway station, on the 24th February 1981. I am pretty shore that this shop at some time had been associated with Clyde Model Dock Yard.

I paid 50.00 flat. The shop was closing and this was old stock. I'm sure that they were about 120 ish, as a true price.  I was very lucky, mine was great and worked very well, it would pull two carriages.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark
chris_lucas

FLAGS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info Mark, my historical currency converter tells me that it's around 360 pounds or 427EU in todays money, my parents told me if it's price is the new price divided by 3 I would be allowed to buy it, I spotted one for 170EU including shipping so that's ok.
How are the plastic bits on it, it's the thing that worry my parent's the most as it isn't full metal?
gen3v8

FLAGS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_lucas wrote:
Thank you for the info Mark, my historical currency converter tells me that it's around 360 pounds or 427EU in todays money, my parents told me if it's price is the new price divided by 3 I would be allowed to buy it, I spotted one for 170EU including shipping so that's ok.
How are the plastic bits on it, it's the thing that worry my parent's the most as it isn't full metal?

Wise Parents!

Don`t blow your lid if you can`t make steam
H2o vapour

FLAGS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, wise parents.

I should not put you off, however, I should provide a balanced view as there are down sides.  

As already said, the gas tank will need replacement, but they are available. The plastic is ok, however, as time has gone on, I have started to see the covering on the plastic start to peel off. So be careful.

I think the best thing you can do here is view the item before purchase and if you can try it even better. When new, there were good ones and bad ones, it really is that simple. You will also need quite a space to put the track out and be able to run it.

It you get a bad one there's not allot that you can do. They are fairly-to very complex and quite difficult to work with. Again just being realistic.

If this is one of your first forages into steam, I'd be a bit cautious. It may be best long term to shelve this line, get a bit more experience and come back to it when you have a little more experience and built up your ability, tools and knowledge. They will always be available as there is allot of then about, so no need to worry.

I think that there are good alternatives also.

Hope that helps, best of luck

Mark
Les

Honorary Life Member

FLAGS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two versions, the live steam one and the static one, the static one doesn't have a boiler so make sure you buy the right one.

http://www.bucketofsteam.co.uk/
Roly Williams

Honorary Life Member

FLAGS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_lucas wrote:

The engine itself is all metal (apart from the knob on the gas burner). The tender is mostly plastic, but it's thick and strong. The track is plastic and is intentionally flexible so that the pieces can be used as straights or curves. (They have a rather clever method of assembling to do that.) Again, it's good strong plastic.

chris_lucas

FLAGS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's this is the one I want to buy.
Is this one worth the 170EU?

Roly Williams

Honorary Life Member

FLAGS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks good, cosmetically. If it's in good working order then I'd say it's well worth 170.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum Forum Index -> Locomotives and Railways All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: